Thursday, January 8, 2009

Top 10 Best Selling Toys for 2008 at YoYo Joe's - #1

As we look forward to 2009, I'll take a look back at the hectic two and a half months that made up 2008 at YoYo Joe's and review each of the top 10 best selling items at YoYo Joe's for 2008. Check back each day for the next of our top ten items

Today, I'll take a look at #1 - (drum roll please?)


It's 'Elf on a Shelf!'

'Elf on a Shelf' is a book and elf combo kit that I learned about last year as a member of the American Specialty Toy Retailers Association (ASTRA), so I ordered two dozen of them when we opened, which I thought would last the holiday season. Then I reordered them. Then I reordered them again. Then again, then again....it became a daily mantra, "How many Elf's do we have?" "Should I order more?" The answers were inevitably "not enough," and "yes, you doof!" They took on a life of their own. It took me a little time to understand the concept (I'm kinda think), so I could explain it to customers. Turns out, I didn't need to do any explaining, as almost every customer knew all about it. It's one of those things that spread like wildfire though the recess ground. One kid's talking about his elf and the other five go home telling mom or dad. Word of mouth was awesome on this. We had people sent to us from Barnes & Noble (heck, we had customers who worked at Barnes & Noble!) Suffice it to say, we'll be stocking it again next season and we've put in for an author appearance next year.

For those uninitiated, the idea is this - you purchase the Elf on a Shelf book and elf kit. The elf doesn't come to life until he is brought home, and then you can name your elf. The elf reports back to Santa each night - on the wishes of the kids he stays with as well as the behavior of the kids. The kids cannot touch the elf and each morning after he returns from his visit to Santa, he plops up in a different place, so part of the fun is the kids searching for the elf in the morning.

No comments: