Wednesday, August 6, 2008

It's been a bad day, please no pictures...

^that's a quote from an REM song.

Anyhow, it's been an unreal day. We were on the front page of the Wilmington News Journal. I was interviewed by WILM, WDEL and WHYY Channel 12. Mobs of people have crowded into Mitchell's buying tons of stuff. It's our biggest sales day since December. Normally, I'd be ecstatic at the sales and press...but, thanks to the nature of the press, it makes for a pretty sad day. Talking to customer after customer today, it's all been memories of the store. I've gotten choked up a couple of times. I grew up here. Some of my earliest memories include running around the old store, hiding in the basement, riding the freight escalator up and down.

I worked at Mitchell's when I was 14. I used to sweep up the sales floor after school. I can't say I was particularly excited about doing it, as most of my friends did things like hang out after school, and I went to work. One day, my dad asked me to move this pile of boxes from the basement. I started doing my work, but I was getting kind of sleepy. I decided that it would be a good idea to huddle up under one of the boxes for a quick nap. As you probably figured out, this wasn't the best idea. A quick nap went a bit longer than I expected and somehow (I never figured out how) my dad discovered me sleeping under a box in the basement. Let's just say my dad was 'displeased.' He was 'displeased' enough that my cousin heard him chewing me out from the front of the store. Ha! Good times.

The day's not done yet, however. Later tonight, we have a yo-yo event at the store - yo-yoers on their way from the World Yo-Yo Contest this past weekend to the New York Open yo-yo contest this coming weekend are stopping into Mitchell's to hang out.

No comments: